6.27.2014

JB's June Writing Challenge: X is for ... Xanax

There's a funny story behind the topic of tonight's post, but I'm not sure you'd get it if you don't work in health care. Suffice to say that after the week we had at the day job, all of us were seriously considering asking the nurse practitioners for a prescription.

To be serious about it, though, I can say that the drug helped me through a very difficult time several years back, and I am in no way posting this to make light of it. If you've ever had a panic attack, you'll understand. It's a horrific experience, and not one easily described to someone who's never been through it themselves.

There are treatments available, though, Xanax being one of them. Sometimes it's made fun of. People toss around the mention of it just as a joke. But panic disorder is a real and true thing, and for some patients, a medication like Xanax is the only option. For others, there is a stigma about it.

Some folks disavow medical therapies like Xanax, for various reasons, sometimes in favor of other methods--natural or homeopathic, or even hypnotherapy. If you don't believe in using medications for emotional disorders yourself, that's fine, but please don't judge those of us who in some cases rely on those medications to help us through our daily lives. I've been there. Trust me, it's not a fun place to be.

Just something I wanted to share, something I feel strongly about. I'll climb down from my soapbox now.

Two days left in the June Writing Challenge--what will days "Y" and "Z" bring? On Monday I'll recap the second half of the alphabet and share some of my insights on what the JWC has done for me. Thanks to all of you who have stuck with me through the last month, and I hope you'll tag along for the end of the ride. In the meantime, read a book! (It's good for you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment