6.22.2014

JB's June Writing Challenge: T is for ... Tomatoes

I'm beginning to think that you, my sweet friends, are having more fun coming up with topics for me to write about than I am having writing about them. Evidence today's suggestion from my lovely friend Blake.

Tomatoes
The WGH suggested I talk about the difference between cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes. There is one. I think that's going to be the extent of that discussion. I like tomatoes. The WGH likes tomatoes. This, apparently, is not a genetic trait that is inherited by one's offspring, however, because not one of our three children liked tomatoes when they were younger. No matter how much I tried to tell them that the things they did like--ketchup, salsa, spaghetti sauce--were all made out of tomatoes, they insisted that the flavor just wasn't the same and therefore refused to eat raw tomatoes. The Boy has finally come around, and the Tall One is getting there. I've about given Little Bit up as a hopeless case. Sigh. Maybe someday.

One of my favorite canned tomato brands is Red Gold. They're inexpensive, they taste pretty darn good, and the company is based in a little town with which I am quite familiar: Elwood, Indiana. (Elwood happens to be my dad's hometown.)

So, yes, it might sound a little bit funny to have a favorite brand of tomatoes, but that's me--a little bit funny. Don't you have certain brands of things you buy on a regular basis that you prefer over others? Well, Red Gold is my tomato brand of choice. And I like all their products--salsa, ketchup, and the various incarnations the tomato itself takes, i.e., diced, crushed, sauce. I use all of these in my special recipe chili.

So there you have it. A couple hundred words about tomatoes. I'm working at the day job again tomorrow, so if I forget to post the "U" topic request in the morning, bear with me. I might have that topic taken care of already, though, thanks to one of my day job buddies. We'll see how my Monday goes. Until then, read a book. It's good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment