6.13.2014

JB's June Writing Challenge: L is for ... Laughter

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."
-e.e. cummings, US poet (1894 - 1962)

Laughter
Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably heard the phrase, "Laughter is the best medicine." This is another concept in which I believe with all my heart. Not only that, it's a scientific fact! Laughter produces endorphins, and endorphins make you feel better. A workplace without laughter is a dull, oppressive, gloomy place. We laugh a lot at the day job--and we're a doctor's office, so we're spreading healthy karma.

I love to laugh. I love being around other people who love to laugh. One of my favorite sounds in the universe is a baby laughing. One of my favorite forms of entertainment is standup comedy. I'll watch standup comic videos for days. I'll laugh myself stupid. And I'll feel like a million bucks afterward.

I also like silly, stupid jokes of all kinds--clean ones. Groaners, puns, goofy kids' jokes, whathaveyou. Love them. Because I can listen and get it and just laugh, and take joy in it. I especially love it when a kid I know tells me a kid's joke. Most of the time it's the delivery that makes it the funniest. I used to tease my own kids when they were little about their dismal joke-telling abilities: The Tall One would tell you the punch line first; The Boy would take 20 minutes to tell a one-liner; and Little Bit would lose her train of thought in the middle of the joke and have to start over, and then she'd forget the punch line completely. They're all grown now, of course, and can tell jokes with dead-on delivery, but it sure was a lot funnier when they were young. Don't judge me. I was laughing with them.

What about you? What makes you laugh hardest? And have you laughed today?

It's shaping up to be a relaxing, fun weekend--the WGH came through his oral surgery quite nicely and did entirely too much today; if he can get himself out of bed tomorrow he has himself a little project lined up in the back yard. I'm going to do laundry and vacuum and (I hope) write like a fiend. Tomorrow's "M" post will mark the halfway point of my challenge. Wish me luck, won't you? Until then, read a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment