6.09.2014

JB's June Writing Challenge: H is for ... Happiness

I contemplated quite a few topics for today's post ... health, hope, Heaven ... on all of which I could probably manage to come up with a few relevant sentences. But then I thought of the one thing that all of these concepts have in common.

Happiness
(Yes, it's late. Yes, I'm tired. So if I'm completely incoherent here, I apologize, but humor me and keep reading.)

I can say in all honesty that I am a happy person. The WGH and I have been happily married for 25+ years. We have three happy, well-adjusted children. Happy, happy, happy. It's a funny word, really. But just saying it makes you feel it, doesn't it?

Take a quick look at yourself, your life. Would you say you're happy? What is it that makes you that way? I'd be willing to bet (to employ a bit of irony) that what makes you happiest in your life has nothing to do with money. Happiness has nothing to do with fame and fortune. Happiness doesn't even really have to do with health. My health is admittedly questionable at times, but I try not to let that get in the way of my overall happiness. I know terminally ill people who could be classified as some of the happiest people on earth. Why? Because true happiness is inner peace.

There are a lot of factors in my own life that contribute to my overall happiness, but it's because the combination of all these factors gives me that inner peace that I am happy. I'm content with my level of happiness. Could I be happier? Maybe. But at this particular moment, I'm hard pressed to think of anything that would do it. (And not just because I'm about to fall off my chair from fatigue.)

In the immortal words of Bobby McFerrin: "Don't worry. Be happy."

A concept we should all live by.

I promise to try to post earlier tomorrow, but I figure you're reading this then, anyway, so maybe you could comment on what tomorrow's "I" topic should be? Until then, read a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment