6.03.2014

JB's June Writing Challenge: B is for ... Baseball*

Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand.
-- Leo Durocher, US baseball manager (1906 - 1991)

Baseball
I will be the first person to admit I know practically nothing about baseball. I have a pretty good grasp of the basics, and I have my favorite teams (the Reds, the Cubs and the Dodgers, in case you were wondering). But the WGH is my go-to guy for details, the intricacies of the game, what all the numbers mean. I love watching games with him, because he usually offers his own commentary seconds before the announcers on TV say the exact same thing he just did. I keep telling him he's in the wrong business.

I played softball for three summers when I was in junior high school, but I was never a really good player. For me it was more about having fun and cheering on my team (I won the team sportsmanship award twice). It's pretty much the same with me now ... I just enjoy the game, and have fun cheering on my team. And attending a live game, no matter what age the players are, is just about the most fun you can have without a license. Our son played Little League, and I never missed a game. I have friends now who have young boys who play, and I like to go sometimes and watch them. I've even been to a college game once or twice. And I've been fortunate enough to attend a decent number of professional games, both major and minor league--it's way cool, in my opinion, that Nashville has a minor league team, and ticket prices are so reasonable you can take the whole family. And feed them. And buy souvenirs.

Another thing I like about the game is the history of it. The almost unadulterated Americana of it. I know, I know, they play baseball in other countries, but really, can you think of a game more American than baseball?

So, baseball fans, here are a few questions for you, and please feel free to respond via the Comments:
1. Who's your favorite team?
2. Are you an avid fan or a casual spectator?
3. Do you attend games? If so, how often?

Until tomorrow ("C" day--I'll take suggestions for a topic), read a book. It's good for you.

*(Note: The reason I picked this topic for today is that the WGH and I were watching the Reds play the Giants. We rarely miss watching the Reds, and thank goodness for Fox Sports Ohio, so we get all the games. And since I had to come up with the topic for today's letter on my own, it seemed a logical choice. I asked the WGH what he thought a good topic would be. I got a *buuuuuuurp* in response, which he insisted was purely unintentional. I told him I didn't think I could write 200 words about that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment