8.01.2013

To think or not to think ...

No need to think. There's a line in the film version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that's not in the book (given: one of many); after Professor Umbridge instructs the students that there will be no need to talk while they read their lesson, Hermione mutters under her breath, "No need to think's more like it."

No need to think. How great would it be if we could get away with that, if only for a few hours at a time? No need to think. No need to dwell on the pressures of our daily lives, the stressors, the worries - the tiny, insignificant things that bother us when they shouldn't. Well, we can, can't we? The answer is right here in front of our faces. Isn't it?

These days I'm lost in the world of Sam Owens via my sister from another mister. The thing I love most about reading is that it helps me come to grips with the fact that other people have problems far worse than mine. Even if they are fictional. For while I have bills up to my ears and a completely unkept house, I feel quite sure I will never have to face the most powerful dark wizard the world has ever seen. Or that my small menagerie of animals will start talking and decide to overthrow the government.

Goals. I'm sitting on the front porch of my house at the moment, watching my daughters' bunnies romp and play in their pen in the front yard. Eating grass and clover and lounging, no cares or worries because they know I'm watching over them. That's another life I'd like to lead, for maybe an hour or so. It's quiet in our neighborhood, though sticky and humid. But it's good thinking time. Time to think about goals that have been set in place and what we're going to do to accomplish them. Putting plans into action. Sister sent me an excellent article with respect to just such yesterday: Taking Action. With luck and a little elbow grease I should have some news on that front in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, today is a down day, and my to-do list is fairly short. Write, edit, write, read, write, watch the current Netflix disc, write, laundry, write.

See? No need to think.

Read a book. It's good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment