8.12.2013

The Domino Effect

Ah, yes, the dreaded rewrite. Groan with me, fellow scribes ...

My invaluable first reader and I had a brainstorming session over the current WIP, and we agreed on a few changes that would make the book stronger, the flow better, and the story hold together more coherently, beginning to end. That accomplished, I've been working on the rewrite for most of the weekend, and I've discovered something.

The domino effect.

You writers know what I'm talking about. You change one little thing early on in the book, or move one section from toward the end to closer to the beginning, and then you have to go through the entire manuscript and make sure that all the details jive appropriately. You find one thing that needs to be altered, and then another, and then another, and then ... the dominoes are just crashing down all over the place.

I'm not letting these scattered bits of chaos derail me, however. No, no, no. The goal is still in sight. I will have this rewrite finished and the manuscript sent to my beta readers by the end of the week. By the end of the week. Because it's crunch time. There's a plan in place, and I'm sticking to the plan.

And have no fear, gentle readers, I will be sharing the details of said plan very, very soon.

In the meantime, I must return to the rewrite. There are still a few dominoes left to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment