8.22.2010

The TBR Pile

Anyone who reads knows that at any given time she might have half a dozen or more books on the ol' TBR (that's To Be Read) pile. And by 'or more' I, of course, mean 87.

You think I'm exaggerating. Let me assure you I am not. As a matter of fact, I'm probably underestimating the actual total by ... well, a lot.

Now that I am free of some extra writing obligations, I'm making a promise of sorts to myself. A few years ago I set out to read at least one book a week (and almost made it, 2 years in a row). I'm going to try again. At that book-per-week rate, I have enough on the TBR pile to get through the next year and a half (at least).

At some point I really need to go through the bazillion (again, not exaggerating) books on my study shelves, sort and reorganize them. I'm not a type A personality, really. But it's just a real mess. I have books shelved and double-shelved, stacked and double-stacked. It's bordering on ridiculous. My husband suggested at one point in the past that I should (gasp) get rid of some of them. My look of horror followed by the rather feral snarl that erupted from deep within my core must have been enough to convince him to never (ever) make that suggestion again.


Tuesday last my Wonder Twin and I met up at a book signing at Davis-Kidd Booksellers here in Nashville. I have a hard time going to a book signing and not buying the author's book. In this case, I'm very glad I did. Currently on my nightstand is a lovely Southern fiction book called The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove by Susan Gregg Gilmore. I'm less than halfway through it at this point, but I only started it yesterday. Let me just say - AH. MAY. ZING. As soon as I finish this one I'm putting Susan's first, Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen, on the To Be Purchased list. Sigh. Which also has about 87 books on it.

It's a lazy, sunny Sunday afternoon in the South. The weather forecast is pretty much the same for the entire week - abundant sunshine with highs in the upper 80s to low 90s. Which would be gorgeous if it weren't for the humidity that seems to be a prerequisite for any state south of the Mason-Dixon line. Perfect for staying in the AC and reading a book.

What's on your TBR pile?

No comments:

Post a Comment